Copyscape Protected

Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Finder

Sunday, April 13, 2014

My take on working from home-online and earning a living. How I do it and some helpful tips.

Get Rich Quick Schemes


For years you have seen these "make money from home" advertisements, most of which turn out to be a scam. Lets be honest here, there are hundreds if not thousands of "work from home" opportunities listed on the internet that require anywhere from a small investment to hundreds of dollars in order to get started.

Most of these offers turn out to be a dead end. You invest $29.95 and up to become part of one program or another and this small investment gives you access to "tools" to get you started and so on and so forth. You end up having to upsell to your friends and family and in many cases try and recruit them into your program. If you're not up-selling to your friends and family or work associates and colleagues, you yourself are buying the "product(s)" in order to meet the minimum quota to stay on board.

Pyramid Schemes

I had a friend many years ago call me and tell me to come down to a meeting in Manhattan and if I liked what I heard, she would "sponsor" me to get me on board. As it turned out, it was a Mary Kay meeting and I had to buy into it with ($100.00)! Yes a hundred bucks! That hundred dollars got me a starter kit with samples and order forms, along with catalogs.  My job was then to come to a meeting every single week. I remember thinking "what the hell do I need a "sponsor" for? If I ran a pyramid scheme, I would naturally assume that if I am "sponsoring" people, that it is a clear indication that I believe that they can sell and market my program or products and I would cover the cost of their membership right?  Is it just me or is the term "sponsor" being used very loosely within the Mary Kay program? Sponsor my shmonser.

At the time I thought to myself "because she's my friend, I'll make her look good and sign up", but once I realized they needed me to attend weekly meetings, I outright said "I don't do meetings and I will not be able to attend them, my schedule as a freelancer will most likely not allow it anyway".  My friend understood but suggested that I try to make some of these meetings anyway. They gave me my own email account and store-link online and I then began to get bombarded with emails from the individual sales director or manager (whoever she was) that was the lead on my friends team. They send you those high energy, peppy emails, telling you that such and such did so well this month and such and such reached another level or rank etc. It was all BS to me. There's no way to make money without duping other people in to signing up for this scam business opportunity and having them sell these products or sign up below you and at some point you earn some kind of residual income from this.  I didn't want a pink freaking Cadillac and I certainly didn't feel like selling makeup and cosmetics to my friends, family or colleagues. I hated the idea of selling false promises.

It's Never "Passive" Income

It's not passive income or part-time effort at all. It's on your mind 24-7! You get brainwashed and you're constantly on the hunt for new recruits and constantly trying to sell this product or that product.  I am now seeing programs like this on Facebook and it's sad how popular these MLM scams have grown. In programs like this, if you don't follow through, they criticize you for dropping out and not being a team-player. I used up my cosmetics from my starter kit and gave away a ton of other items that came with it.  I don't want to dump all over Mary Kay, maybe it's because I am more of a tomboy that this program was not for me. Who knows?  Mary Kay's products are not cheap so oftentimes someone will, out of kindness and compassion, order one or two things to help you out and unless that item is magic, they won't be ordering again. I myself liked Avon growing up. You'd order a cheap product, forget about it and then two weeks or so later, it was like a present that you forgot about when that cherry chap stick or midnight magic perfume came to your door. Mary Kay, was not for me.

Another friend knocked on my door with his Amway kit and told me that he would make us rich. He'd made the investment and now all I had to do was invite all of my girlfriends over and get them to buy crap stuff. I whooped out my Mary Kay kit and asked him what the difference was. I told him that I'd been there and tried that and that I couldn't help him because I wasn't going to be feeding a bunch of chicks every weekend to try and sell his products. So, in order for him to make a few bucks, I'd have to spend over a hundred bucks every weekend in order to host some product sales party at my house? I think not. He was disappointed and bummed out, I mean, he did drive over an hour to show me this program on a late Sunday evening, but shoot...he should have called first.

If you like to sell things, then these Mary Kay, Avon, Amway and all of the new ones out now, might be a good way for you to save money on products and also sell them along with your program. There are far cheaper ways to get discounts on products and make money on referrals (I will cover this in a future post). These programs are not for me and if you do a tiny bit of research, you can figure these MLM programs out and find a better and cheaper way to do it. For that hundred buck buy-in, I could set up my own website and spend some google-adwords dollars and sell my own items. If that's something you want to do and don't know how to do, it's pretty simple and you can message me and I will be glad to walk you through it for FREE.  I will do a blog on these very simple steps in the next week or so and you'll have all of the information at your fingertips.

I Work From Home, So Can You!

I work from home and make money all the same and I'm going to tell you how I do it. I choose to invest in myself and market my own skills in order to make a living. I've been doing it for over a decade and the only individuals that benefit are myself and the people that I do business. There is not an entire flock of upper level MLM folks above me that benefit from one penny that I make and there are no folks recruited beneath me that I earn money from, residual or otherwise. I like this formula.  I work with freelance communities online and while you do run in to a lot of competition, if you do it right, you will always have work coming in and you will feel good about the work that you do and every dollar that you earn.

One such community is Odesk.com and depending on your skills, you can earn money with a flexible schedule and keep a client coming back for more.  This won't work for everyone but if you're educated on any level and know how to use the internet, you've got a starting point.  Most people on these online communities offer Secretarial and Administrative Services as well as things such as: SEO Marketing, Graphic Design, Music and Audio Services, Art and Design etc.  If you have any kind of talent, there is a market for you online that you can tap into for less than one of your many MLM investments floating on the net.

For the above mentioned online community, Odesk.com, as it applies to me, here is my rundown-
I provide the following services:

Ghost Writing, Writing, Transcription, Research, Voice Over, Secretarial and Administrative Services etc.

You can pretty much offer any service that you are capable of offering and following through on.  Once you have established a profile with some samples of your work in your portfolio, you can either apply to jobs that are posted or you will receive invitations for work that is available within the categories that you subscribe to. Below is an example of a job that was offered to me


You then follow-up with the offer and click accept or decline (see below):

Am I going to provide 50 articles for $200 (provider's maximum bid)? Probably not because
it's not a reasonable paying gig but if I have nothing on the table, I might bid for those 50 articles 
and ask for an increase. They would either accept my offer or decline. You get the gist of it right?

Here is my list of categories that I subscribe to:



Odesk allows folks to offer a ton of services so there is no need for you to be a writer or offer any other
kind of administrative things like I do. These are some of the categories that you can provide services in:


Odesk charges 10% of the earnings which is really not that bad at all.  You can  always incorporate
that 10% fee in to your bid for each project, that's up to you. There are different levels of membership, currently I do not pay for any additional membership options. I stuck to the number of categories allowed on the basic/free membership. Imagine that! I'm marketing my skills for free and able to earn a living while doing it.

Below are some online communities that allow you to use skills that you already know. I have listed some below.I did a few music related searches for a friend but these communities cover all specialties and fields. Keep in mind that they cover more than just music, these jpegs are for illustration only on the various searches I did with "music" when I was helping a friend get started:

www.freelanced.com (music, artists, writers, painters, graphic etc.) below you will see one job that quoted up to an $8000 payment for a 6-9 minute video promo. I have many friends that can do this in a weeks time.


www.freelancer.com (in the real sample below, you could earn $269 for a transcription of a song)


https://www.elance.com (good for EVERY field, including audio engineering etc)



 (for graphic designers/artists/web designers)

www.peopleperhour.com (very good for video, photo, audio and other specialities etc. If you master music tracks or make beats, they seem to have a ton of opportunities)


http://www.soundclick.com (here you can open your own music store and sell mp3's with a paypal account) this next link tells you how http://www.soundclick.com/docs/support.cfm?site=store#1.1 

There are many legitimate opportunities to work from home for writers, designers, artists, musicians, engineers and many, many more.


I got a gig on freelanced.com within the first month of my membership which was somewhere around $15.00 and I made that investment back within that same month (for ghost writing a blog).

What helps me is that I have a large portfolio and while I didn't know how to put a portfolio together at the beginning, it wasn't that hard. I created projects on my computer and either uploaded them in word, PDF or simply screen-captured them as jpg's.  For my voice over demo; I created it on my computer with audacity.  A voice over demo is pretty easy to create. You need to either create or find music and beats and then lay your voice down, after you've done these two things, you can mix them on audacity, which is free to download. Audacity also makes it easy to cancel out background noise. Shoot, by reading simple instructions and hitting youtube, I became and audacity expert via the web and now offer voice over services online.

It's really simple to get started on your own with these online communities and you can account for every dollar that you spend (in many cases the free/basic memberships will do just fine) and also have great potential to make great earnings if you take the proper steps to set up a good profile with a good portfolio (see below).

I made over $100 in one day, for one project, with one client on elance.com (for research work) (see below)

I have my paypal account attached to elance.com and therefore I withdrew the funds on the same day and then transferred those funds to my paypal debit card. It's very simple. Use what you already know, to make money that you don't already have.  Use your skills and knowledge to make a legitimate living that you can feel good about.



It takes one job to give you good reviews and then before you know it, you're being invited to take part in paying projects that you can either accept or decline.

You can absolutely make money working from home and online but in my opinion you do not need to invest in one program or another. I don't recommend that you invest in any MLM at all and that's just my opinion. Take your $100 and invest it in yourself (or start out with the basic/free memberships).  If you don't think that you have enough skills to try this or you feel that you're rusty, trust me when I tell you that you can do this, some websites offer free memberships and others start at truly  low monthly membership rates. All it takes is one job to make that money back and pay for continuing monthly fees. It's worth it!! I pay $10 for my elance membership and I have made hundreds on that site alone. In all, I spend less than $50 a month with my various web memberships and I obtain work from all of them. The work pays for my memberships, but you can start with just one of these sites.  There is a library the size of the universe on the internet for free that will help you brush up on your skills and with that same token, there are a ton of free online resources that will teach you a skill or two.  Invest your time in  yourself and use those few bucks you have to get yourself in to one or more of these online communities to get real work, for real pay.

I'm a business owner, a blogger, a writer, a researcher, an executive assistant, a transcriptionist and so much more. I am utilizing all of my skills every day to earn a living. I have built websites, worked with SEO Marketing, Started three businesses, helped start-ups and more. Trust in yourself, believe in yourself and you can use what you already know and what  you already have within your means to start your own work-from-home journey.

Good Luck,

Til we meet again







Online Knitting Class

5 comments:

  1. Here we go, the first comment is from yet ANOTHER BS site making BS offers and claims. Do your due diligence folks. After a quick search, I found that Bred Pit here's website is more of a Scam than a home based business opportunity: See the review at this link: http://www.consumercomplaints.in/complaints/eazy2earncom-c265261.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't thank you enough for this post. Sista you totally, totally dropped some remarkable jewelz on this post. Thank you so much for this. I may have 1 question about elance.com but I'll let you know if so. Thank you! I had no idea I'd get this much remarkable information today. Much much respect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mecca, I appreciate you and you're so very welcome. I will be making updates periodically on other legitimate ways to create income from skills you already possess. A lot of folks don't want to give up their sources, but we all have individual skills and qualities and we should be making bank off of it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freelancing is a really good way to have another source of earning money. It was of help when I was unemployed and I want to share with everyone this great job board: https://www.xplace.com/ XPlace. It doesn't charge a commission from freelancers, has higher hourly rates than most other platforms and a large number of various jobs to apply for!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments: Please be sure to take this months poll.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...